Fifth through Eighth Grades
The Middle School classroom consists of fifth through eighth grades. Four licensed teachers are assigned to the classroom along with several special-subject teachers. Group lessons are provided for each curriculum area and supplemented with individualized instruction. Community service is stressed, as students have opportunities to mentor others in the school as well as help those in need throughout our Knoxville community and world.
Middle School Curriculum Areas
- Math: Everyday Math from the University of Chicago Mathematics Project; Pre-Algebra (Seventh Grade), Algebra I (Eighth grade)
- Language: Novel studies of recommended literature; 6 + 1 Traits of Writing
- Spanish: Conversational, parts of speech
- Science: Standards-based studies of Life, Earth and Physical sciences, research and application
- Art: Technique, history, appreciation
- Social Sciences: Geography, World and American histories, cultures
- Music: Vocal instruction, reading music, appreciation, history
The Middle School classroom serves students during a time of great change and growth in their lives and strives to ground them in self-awareness, a love of discovery and a commitment to compassion in the years ahead.
The school day is from 8:15 am until 3:15 pm. Students may arrive after 7:30 am and stay until 5:30 pm as needed.